These two consecutive projects (from 2009-2012, €4m) supported Moldova implement effective policy management systems across Government, to support the implementation of Moldova's National Development Strategy (NDS).
These projects supported all line-Ministries, helping them improve the quality of Public Finance Management, public policy development and analysis, and linkages between public policy priorities and the budget through the enhancement of the Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF). This was done by providing the following support at the central level:
- Building the capacity of the Ministry of Finance to steer the MTEF process, including producing a more accurate fiscal framework, better aligning budget allocations to national priorities, and improving programme budgeting;
- Assisting the State Chancellery prepare a new draft national strategic planning document to replace the current NDS;
- Providing on-going advice to the Government to improve the policy management framework;
- Assisting the State Chancellery to steer sector-level medium term planning based on the 2011-2014 Government Action Plan;
- Support the Academy for Public Administration in developing and delivering a full training programme to support the new policy development and MTEF process.
This central level support was completed by the following support at line ministry level, across all 23 line ministries:
- Training line ministries to prepare their MTEF, Sector Expenditure Programmes and annual budgets in programme format;
- Supporting the line ministries in planning, monitoring and reporting on their consolidated annual action plans;
- Building capacity for the involvement of civil society in the policy development process.